|Scope & Content||
This collection contains information concerning the reuniting of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians with the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, April, 1984, at the Red Clay State Historical Area in Bradley County, Tennessee. From 1832 until the removal in 1.838 Red Clay was the seat of Cherokee government and the site of eleven general councils/ national affairs attended by 2,000 to 5,000 people. Also see Red Clay and Rattlesnake Springs by James Corn.
Folder 1: Red Clay Council, 6 April 1984
1. minutes Red Clay Council
2. "Resolution Calling for an Annual Council Meeting of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma"
3. "A Resolution in Appreciation to the State of Tennessee"
4. Red Clay Last Cquncil Ground of the Cherokees in the East by James Corn.
5. "Remarks by John Parris ... at Send-Off of Torch from Eternal Flame"
6. Eternal Flame -- diagram of structure
7. Map: Trail of Tears
8. "United We Standi" Red Clay Historical Area
9. "United We Stand, It brochures (2)
10. "Ceremony of the Flame"
11. Seating chart: Unto These Hills 12. "Cherokee Heritage Tour"
13. Crafter registration sheets
14. Newspaper clippings
For additional information on historic councils at Red Clay, see "The Red Clay Council Ground," Brian M. Butler, Journal of Cherokee Stuides, Winter 1977.
"The Councils at Red Clay Council Grounds, Bradley County; Tennessee 1832 -1837, " Wiilliam R. Snell, Journal Of Cherokee Studies, Fall 1977.
|Collection||Red Clay Council, 1984|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|